Sauna is a steam bath which helps in relaxing your body physically as well as mentally. It detoxifies your body and eliminates all the impurities in the form of sweat. One can derive many significant benefits from sauna bath if the heat and humdity levels are maintained at an optimum level. If you are thinking about installing a sauna in your home, you must keep in mind the following points:
1. Where should you focus your attention the most while designing or building a sauna?
The main and the most important part of the sauna is its heater. The wise selection of sauna heater and its corresponding heat control options will naturally enhance the efficiency of your sauna. The ranges of sauna temperature and the quality of sauna heater stones are also important elements to be considered while designing a sauna.
2. What should be size of sauna?
On the walls, the sauna should be insulated to a minimum of R12 and on the ceiling it should be insulated to a minimum of R16. The heater should be equally effective in maximizing size.
3. What should be the optimal inside height for saunas?
A maximum and safe ceiling height is 96 inches while the minimum permitted ceiling height is 77 inches. At an average, the ceiling height is 84 inches.
4. What should be the arrangement of benches in the sauna room?
Minimizing the wastage of the floor space and maximizing the bench space can increase the number of people who can be accommodated and can enjoy the heat therapy. This increases the efficiency of your entire sauna system. A sauna room should have space for both types of benches- the upper ones and the lower ones.
5. What kind of wood should be used for the benches and the walls of the sauna room?
The benches, more often than not, are usually built from either Abachi or Cedar. The walls of the sauna room are made with Cedar or Hemlock wood types.
6. What should be the structure of sauna door?
The sauna doors are usually made with an all glass material mainly to keep a check on the bathers to ensure their safety. An all glass door is stylish and durable and is resistant to high and low heat levels.
7. What should the sauna heater be placed?
The sauna heater should be placed underneath the benches to maximize the space inside the sauna room. The structure of the benches should be such that it hides the heater conveniently and leaves the maximum space possible of the room at your disposal.
8. How should saunas be ventilated?
An efficient ventilation system is important in a sauna room to ensure the optimum levels of heat and humidity. A ventilation system will replace the humid and hot air with fresh air. This can be possible only if you place your in-vent under the sauna heater. This will draw new, fresh air inside the sauna room. The exhaust vent should be placed opposite to heater in-vent. The goal is to prevent heat loss and also to maintain the temperature and the humidity levels of the sauna room.
There are some points to be kept in mind about the heater stones:
- A good heater stone should be able to withstand high temperature ranges and fluctuations in heat.
- The heating stones should not discharge any kind of odour or dust.
- They must do the job of delivering the optimum amount of heat, absorb the water and prevent dripping of water. An uneven surface of the stone is preferred as compared to an even surface.
- Stones must have a large surface area so that the air can be circulated well between the stones and also for the elements to operate efficiently.
- The stones used for heating must hold heat well. If it holds heat well, it will require less energy to be heated to an optimum temperature and will provide an excellent steam.
- All sauna heater stones should be tested by the manufacturers of the heater.