- Being prepared– Keep a bag of healthy snacks handy in your work desk or your car. If you already have healthy snacks within your reach you will not go for the oily pack of chips.
Tip– Stock energy giving foods such as almonds which are protein rich and provides our body with the necessary fuel to be energetic all day.
- Use nature to fill the gaps– Eat a lot of fruits and green veggies to fulfill the nutritional needs of your body. These are Energy Giving Foods that are low are fat and high on fiber.
Tip– Carry Home-Made dips such as Hummus with crunchy veggies like cucumber.
Try yogurt with citrus fruits.
- Jazz Up Your Snacks– Healthy snacking does not have to be boring. You can mix and match according to your own tastes. Try the tasty “Almond and Soya Milk Smoothie” just perfect for those small snack cravings.
- Watch what you eat– Over Snacking while being occupied can be an extra addition of fat to your system. To avoid this make sure you sit with a measured quantity so that you end up overstuffing yourself. Make sure that that you snack composes of Energy giving food like nuts or almonds.
Tip– Sit with a handful of 23 almonds to avoid over consumption. Sit with a single consumption amount, that will keep a check on optimum snacking.
- Ditch Packaged Goods– You can try easy handmade snacks rather than packaged good. These are easy to make and healthy. Try some of the recipes given below
Anardana Churan Roasted Almonds
Serves: 100 grams
Preparation time: 2 – 3 minutes
Cooking time: 10 – 12 minutes
Almonds (unpeeled) – 100 g
Anardanachuran – 15 g
Oilive oil – 3 ml
- Roast almonds in a pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes at 100 degrees.
- Add olive oil and sprinkle with anardanachuran, while almonds are still hot.
- Toss it evenly and store in an airtight container.
Almond and Peach Relish
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Almonds whole – 400 g
Peach – 350 g
Sugar – 150 g
Cinnamon – 1 no.
Star anise – 1 no.
Fresh red chili – 1 no.
Balsamic Vinegar – 50 ml
- In a clean bowl, soak whole almonds in hot water and keep it for 15minutes.
- Remove the skin.
- On a clean chopping board cut peach in dices and keep it aside.
- Take fresh red chili, slit it and remove the seeds and keep it aside.
- In a pan, put grain sugar and caramelize it add whole skinless almonds in it.
- When it is done add diced peach, cinnamon stick, star anise and slit chili in it and cook further.
- Add Balsamic vinegar in it and let it reduce.
- Add the blanched and peeled almonds and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Keep stirring during this time.
- Remove star anise and cinnamon stick and serve it with crostini, crisp bread, nachos or even toasted bread and enjoy as a beautiful relish.
Tip: after cooling down the relish store in a cool and dry container and store in a refrigerator and could be used for even a month.